Year 1 - Kingfishers
Welcome to Year 1 - Kingfishers!
Welcome to Kingfisher Class!
On this page you will find curriculum information for this half term including details of our learning each week and general information about our class.
The teacher in Kingfishers class is Miss Desmarais and the teaching assistant is Mrs McFarlane-Cushing. Mrs Lalite will teach in our class once a week and we also have help from Miss Moore, Mrs Carter, Miss Trigg and Mrs Brendling
Here are some key points of information:
- We open the classroom door at 8:50 am every day and the register is taken at 9 am
- We change our phonics reading books on Mondays
- Please make sure you bring in your reading book and reading record every day, along with your book bag
- Please write down the pages of any book that you have read at home in your reading record
- Library books are due in on Wednesdays and changed on Thursdays
- We do PE twice a week, on Monday and Thursday, and this is done outdoors whenever possible. Every child needs a full P.E. kit in school and a pair of trainers and /or plimsolls
- Homework will be given out on a Friday and it is due in on the following Wednesday
- Spellings are given out on Fridays and collected the following Friday
- We finish at 3.10pm each day
Our Learning this year
This half term our topic is 'Castles.'
For more information see our topic overview or medium term plans above.
Above are links to documents which are always useful when supporting your child's writing. We have included a list of non-decodable words (tricky words) which are useful to practise reading by sight, as well as sound mats showing all the sounds we have been learning in Phonics lessons.
ICT games (general) - http://www.ictgames.com
General games and support - https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/
Phonics play - https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk
Phonics - https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com
Maths - http://sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm
General - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zjxhfg8
Maths - http://www.crickweb.co.uk/ks1numeracy.html
Literacy Shed - https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html
Online books - https://www.booktrust.org.uk/books-and-reading/have-some-fun/storybooks-and-games/
Numbots - https://numbots.com/
Alphablocks - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/alphablocks
Number blocks - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/numberblocks
BBC Bitesize - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z3g4d2p
Maths games - https://www.topmarks.co.uk
If you have any concerns your first point of contact is your child's class teacher. Please speak to them to arrange a mutually suitable time to discuss your concerns. We ask if you'd like to speak to us at the end of the school day you wait for all children to be dismissed so our full attention can be given.
Parents evening are held once a term for you to discuss your child's progress.
At Hillshott Infant and Nursery school we follow the PenPals handwriting scheme. Our younger children are introduced to four main characters which help them to memorise the sequence for writing each letter correctly. The key thing to remember is that all letters start from the top
(apart from d and e).
Pattern practice and ‘play’ writing are an important part of handwriting development. Your child will be practicing letter formation in a number of exciting ways: in sand, using paint, in the air, on the interactive television screens and iPads, as well as on paper with a pencil!