Year 1 – Barn Owls
Welcome to Year 1 - Barn Owls!
Hello everyone and welcome to Barn Owls!
In Barn Owls we beleive learning should be fun, we look after our friends and we are proud of each other's learning. Have a look on this page for lots of important information about our learning in Year 1.
Meet the Barn Owls team!
Mrs Pring and Mrs Farr are the class teachers, Mrs Matthews is our teaching assistant who helps us in class every day. Mrs Pring teaches us Monday - Wednesday AM and Mrs Farr teaches us Wednesday PM - Friday.
Here are some key points of information
- We open the classroom doors at 8:50am.
- Please bring your book bag into school everyday, with your reading book and reading record inside. Then we can change your books on a Monday and Thursday, and write in your reading record when we read with you at school.
- Every child can choose a library book to bring home. These are changed on Fridays.
- We do PE twice a week, on a Tuesday and a Thursday. These lessons are held outdoors whenever possible. Every child needs a full PE kit in school and a pair of trainers or plimsols.
- Homework is given out on Fridays and due in on Mondays.
- Spellings are given out on Fridays and collected the following Friday.
- Our school day finishes at 3:10pm
OUR LEARNING THIS HALF TERM
Above are links to documents which are always useful when supporting your child's writing. We have included a list of non-decodable words (tricky words) which are useful to practise reading by sight, as well as sound mats showing all the sounds we have been learning in Phonics lessons.
If I have any concerns or problems, who can I speak to?
Your first point of call is your child's class teacher. Please speak to them to arrange a mutually convenient time to have a discussion. We ask that if you would like to speak to us at home time, please wait for the rest of the class to be dismissed so our full attention can be given. Parents evenings are held once a term for you to discuss your child's progress.
Year 1 phonics lessons - https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCP_FbjYUP_UtldV2K_-niWw/playlists
ICT games (general) - http://www.ictgames.com
General games and support - https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/
Phonics play - https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk
Phonics - https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com
At Hillshott Infant and Nursery School we follow the Penpals handwriting scheme. Our younger children are introduced to the four main characters which help them to memorise the sequence for writing each letter correctly. The key thing to remember is that almost all the letters start from the TOP, except d and e.
Lots of activities support pencil control, including colouring, drawing, playdough, sand play, squeezing pegs, threading and many more! This is why we provide a variety of activities to build up children's finger strength.