Year 2 – Kestrels
Welcome to the Kestrels Class
Mrs Pring and Mrs Farr (maternity leave) are our class teachers. Mrs Matthews (Mon-Thurs), Mrs Mayhew (Fri) and Mrs Carter are our class TAs. Mrs Lalite and Mrs Padgett help us throughout the week for small group work or interventions. Mrs Padgett teaches us on a Tuesday.
On this page you will find information about what we are learning, photos and other useful information about the Kestrels class.
- Our start time is 8.40 and we finish at 3.10
- Everyday you will take your reading book home to read to a grown up. It will be changed on Mondays and you can choose a library book on Thursdays.
- Homework is given out on a Friday and is due on the following Wednesday.
- Spellings are given out on a Friday too but don't have to be returned until Wednesday to give you time to learn. They will be tested on Friday.
- Kestrels have PE every Monday and Wednesday
New to Year 2 Workshop - 15th September 2023
Our learning this term
Useful websites for home learning
Literacy Shed - https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html
Numbots - https://numbots.com/
Alphablocks - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/alphablocks
Number blocks - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/numberblocks
BBC Bitesize - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z3g4d2p
Maths Whizz - https://www.whizz.com/maths-activities/
Resources for everything - https://www.twinkl.co.uk/
Times tables rockstars - https://ttrockstars.com/page/covid19support
Phonics games - https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/PicnicOnPluto.html
Joe Wicks - 5 Minute Home workout - Youtube
Science Max - Science experiments for kids - Youtube
At Hillshott Infant School and Nursery we follow the Penpals handwriting scheme. Our younger children are introduced to four main characters which help them to memorise the sequence for writing each letter correctly. The key thing to remember is that all letters start from the top apart - from d and e.
Pattern practice and play writing are an important part of handwriting development. Your child will be practising letter formation in a number of exciting ways: in sand, using paint, in the air, on the interactive screens and I pads, as well as on paper using a pencil!